In one of the most decisive energy transformations of this century, Abu Dhabi together with the other emirates that comprise the United Arab Emirates, has positioned the nation as a global leader in responsible and sustainable energy policy.
Already a central player in the global hydrocarbon economy, the UAE has simultaneously emerged as one of the world’s leading investors in low-carbon energy – with pioneering projects and policies in renewable and nuclear energy, as well as energy efficiency and carbon sequestration.
With a fast-growing population and a forecasted tripling of electricity demand from 2010 to 2030, Abu Dhabi embarked upon a carefully planned and sustainable approach to manage its abundant natural resources while transforming its energy sector.
Over the last decade Abu Dhabi has implemented key strategic actions to reinforce and support its visionary energy goals. These include:
- Expanding utility power generation and distribution capacity
- Developing clean fossil-fuel generation technologies
- Diversifying into alternative and renewable power generation
- Implementing energy efficiency and demand-side management schemes
Its dedication to various initiatives and programmes has helped Abu Dhabi to make significant progress in important areas such as:
- Responsible management of natural resources
- Clean technology to power future growth
- Bolstering domestic energy security
- Protecting the environment
- Developing a low-carbon energy sector
This inspiring vision, positioning Abu Dhabi at the forefront of global energy innovation, is elegantly symbolised by the Zayed Future Energy Prize. And by 2019, when Abu Dhabi hopes to welcome thousands of delegates to the 24th World Energy Congress, an impressive 24 percent of all its electricity will be provided by clean energy.